Sautéed cabbage, savory sausage, and a rich, creamy sauce are comforting and satisfying! Plus, you can have it on the table in about 30 minutes!
This post was brought to you by Hillshire Farms. All opinions expressed are my own.
When I need to get dinner on the table quick, sausage is one of my go-to ingredients. It has tons of flavor, goes well with so other ingredients, and cooks up in no time! And, who doesn’t love sausage and cabbage?!
Tonight I was craving cabbage, so I whipped up this creamy egg noodle dish in about 30 minutes. Cabbage cooks super fast, so the most time-consuming part of this whole meal was prepping everything. First I sauteed up some cabbage and onions with Chicken Hardwood Smoked Sausage, and then I made a creamy sauce using chicken broth, cream cheese, and just a little butter. The result was a savory, make-you-mouth-happy dish with tons of flavor and texture.
Hillshire Farms smoked sausage is crafted to be better. Over the course of 75 years, they’ve perfected the seasoning, and the result is absolutely delicious.
You can use any sausage you like, including chicken sausage, bratwurst, or kielbasa sausage. If it’s not fully cooked when you buy it, be sure to make sure it is before adding the cabbage and onions. Feel free to add sliced bell peppers, fresh peas, or whatever else sounds good to you. If you want to make this gluten-free, you could swap the egg noodles with rice, udon, or your favorite gluten-free noodles.
- 1 13-ounce package Hillshire Farm Turkey Smoked Sausage, sliced into rounds
- 1 12-ounce bag egg noodles
- 4 ounces full-fat cream cheese
- 1 large onion, sliced
- ½ head of cabbage, chopped
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoons butter or ghee
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Cook the egg noodles as instructed on the package, undercooking them by a couple of minutes. They will continue to cook in the sauce, so this will ensure they don't get overcooked.
- While the noodles are cooking, heat the olive oil in a very large skillet and sauté the sausage until it's browned on both sides.
- Add the cabbage, onions, and chicken broth and cook until the cabbage is done to your liking, stirring often. We prefer ours to still have some crunch and texture, so I cooked mine for about 5 minutes.
- Make a well in the center of the pan and add the cream cheese, butter, green onions, and spices. Using a fork, break up the cream cheese and stir until smooth. Reserve some of the green onions for garnish, if desired.
- Add the egg noodles to the pan and toss thoroughly. Let this hang out over the lowest heat setting for about two minutes, stirring often. The egg noodles will absorb some of the sauce and become nice and creamy.
- Remove from the heat and serve immediately 😉