Donuts and ice cream – two of our favorite things. I don’t know why I never thought of combining them, but now that I did, I know it’s something I want in my life forever. And that’s saying a lot, since most of you know I’m a savory girl! I may have never mentioned this, but donuts are on the top of my daughter’s favorite food list – right next to boiled peanuts. I can only eat so much sweet stuff, so she was a willing guinea pig for this recipe and said these “changed her life forever” ha!
My favorite thing about this dessert is that you can make a whole platter in minutes and really impress your guests. They’re also totally adaptable to everyone’s tastes. You could buy several kinds of ice cream and donuts and let your guests make their own. I’ve made these several times now, and I prefer a dark chocolate ice cream with a cake donut because it’s not as sweet. And my sweet-loving hubby likes the glazed donuts with chocolate ice cream and chocolate drizzle. There really is no recipe, but after much trial and error I can give you some helpful tips!
- Not all donuts work (hence the difference in the pictures). Glazed donuts work great. They slice easily and don’t fall apart. The larger, softer cake donuts also work well for the same reason. But the more crumbly type cake donuts did not work simply because they didn’t slice – they crumbled. (the one up on it’s side in the pic below did not work)
- Don’t let your ice cream get too soft. Once the ice cream gets too soft, they become too messy. We had the best results with leaving the ice cream in the freezer until the donuts were sliced and ready to assemble.
- Use a small ice cream scoop. You can use a spoon, but it went a lot faster just adding 3-4 small scoops to each donut half.
- If desired, drizzle with melted chocolate, melted peanut butter and/or top with chopped nuts, coconut, etc…
- Serve immediately – for obvious reasons.
Don’t be afraid to change it up and get creative. My daughter’s favorite combination was a maple bacon donut with vanilla ice cream. Come back and let me know what you came up with!