To help those who plan on applying for the Disney College Program, here are my (a Fall 2012 CP) top ten tips for a successful application process. Good luck to all those applying, and may the magic of Disney bless you, haha!
10. When completing your initial job application, check several job choices that you are interested in. The more you select, the greater the odds Disney will find a role for you.
9. …That being said, do NOT select a job that you are not interested in. It won’t hurt you to not select every role. Disney would rather hire an employee who is interested and passionate in their role as to one who feels “so-so.” When I applied, I did not select custodial, housekeeping, and transportation (even though essentially that is where I got placed, ha!).
8. Also, if you have a specific location in mind (i.e. Animal Kingdom, Downtown Disney, etc), tell this to your Disney recruiter during the phone interview. Even though they can’t guarantee it, your preference will be noted in your account.
7. If your university is hosting a DCP information session, go to it! Even though I had already found out a lot on my own, I learned some new things during my campus’ session. Also, you have the rare opportunity to talk to actual DCP recruiters (the people who hire CPs!) and previous interns. Plus, they give out freebies! I won a free DCP pen shaped like everyone’s favorite mouse. =)
6. Plan to complete each section of your application in a quiet place that is free of distraction. Also, this may seem obvious, but make sure your internet is working ha!
5. When you schedule your phone interview, pick a day or time that you don’t have a lot going on and can focus solely on your interview. Also, make sure to get plenty of food and water before your phone interview. The last thing you want during your interview is a “rumbly” in your “tumbly.” =P
4. Remember that the guest is always right. I will repeat this, the guest is ALWAYS right. Disney does not budge on this philosophy.
3. Have your answers ready. Before my interview, I researched all kinds of possible questions that could be asked during the phone interview. From what I found, question topics range from your favorite Disney character/movie and why (and make sure it is a DISNEY character! That mean no Anastasia, Looney Tunes, or SpongeBob, ha!), how you would handle an upset guest, top three role choices, and so on. Once you know your answers to these and other possible questions, it will make you feel more at ease during your actual interview.
2. Be excited! Disney hires people that are happy and enthusiastic. They won’t think of you as being childish if you let your Disney spirit flow! =)
1. Most importantly, remember to SMILE during your phone interview. I read this time and time again when researching before I applied. It may seem silly, but a smile is universal and can be felt even through a phone. Smiling is a huge component of the cast member work ethic, so it is important to show it from the very beginning.
Written by my daughter, Brittany! Be sure you’re following her Disney blog too! She is doing a professional internship there for the rest of the year and posts all kinds of fun, informative things…and lots of pictures!
Join our Facebook Group where you can see all the deals, share yours, and connect with other frugal Disney addicts!!
Follow me on Pinterest and check out all my Disney boards 🙂
More Disney articles you may like: