For some reason, pumpkin is always one of those things I always have in my cabinet. I love to cook but could go the rest of my life without baking. That said, I’m the queen of doctoring up a mix! I had four spice cake mixes in my stockpile, and a ton of pumpkin, so I just decided to just mix them. The result was a delicious, moist cake that my whole family loved!
The mix called for 1/3 cup of oil but if you split that into 15 good size servings, it only adds about 43 calories per slice. If you wanted to make it lighter, you could try replacing some or all of the oil with an equal amount of applesauce. For a dessert, this is on the lighter side…and the pumpkin is super healthy for you 🙂
All ovens vary slightly, so I recommend you start checking with a toothpick after about 25 minutes. Remove the cake as soon as the toothpick comes out clean. I prefer my desserts to not be overly, so I only used 1/4 cup sugar. If you like a sweeter dessert, you can increase the sugar to 1/3 cup.
- 15-ounce can solid pack pumpkin
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 18.25-ounce box of packaged spice cake mix
- 16-ounce container cream cheese frosting
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the pumpkin, eggs, sugar and oil. Mix well.
- Add cake mix; beat for 2 minutes.
- Pour into a greased 15x10" baking dish
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack and then frost.