If you loved Little Debbie Cosmic Brownies as a child, you’ll love my healthier version even more – but don’t forget the sprinkles!
Raise your hand if you’ve eaten your fair share of Little Debbie snacks! Growing up, I LOVED Nutty Buddies. My kids, however, were all about Cosmic brownies and oatmeal cream pies!
The ingredients are pretty terrible, but that doesn’t mean you can’t still enjoy your favorite treats. Cosmic brownies are incredibly easy to make and dare I say that my version s even better. It’s really all about the frosting, which resembles a Texas sheet cake frosting and firms up when it’s cool.
While my version still uses real butter and cream, those ingredients are all-natural and much better for you. They’re not fake food. In my opinion, eating healthy isn’t eating fat-free or sugar-free. It’s simply replacing artificial, processed ingredients with real food.
My Cosmic brownies are rich, fudgy and preservative-free!
The brownie itself is fantastic. The frosting and sprinkles are what make them “cosmic” brownies, but I regularly make these with just chocolate chips on top too.
Tips for making Cosmic brownies:
- For the best texture, don’t overmix the batter – and don’t overbake.
- Use good quality chocolate and cocoa. It makes a difference.
- Don’t skip lining the pan with parchment. It makes removing the brownies much easier.
- For the most authentic-looking Cosmic brownie, use these confetti shaped sprinkles!
These are perfect for birthdays! Just change up the color of the sprinkles to match your theme.
Serve this with:
- Cranberry Cheesecakes
- Homemade Magic Shell
- Apple Pie Cupcakes
- 5 Ingredient Beer Bread
- Banana Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting
Did you try this recipe?
- Leave us a comment or rating below!
- Tag and hashtag us on Instagram @nashvillemade #nashvillemadefood
- Follow us on Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, and Facebook
- Sign up here to receive our weekly roundup in your inbox.
Little Debbie Cosmic Brownies Copycat Recipe
- 3/4 cup melted butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Candy Sprinkle decorations
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Line a 9x13 pan with parchment paper or foil and spray with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the butter, eggs, sugar, brown sugar and vanilla and whisk well.
- Add the cocoa powder and whisk until smooth.
- Add the flour and stir until just incorporated.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and lightly smooth and level the top.
- Bake 25 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the brownies to completely cool while still in the pan.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the chocolate chips and cream for 30 seconds at a time, or until smooth.
- Pour icing over cooled brownies and lightly smooth.
- Refrigerate for 15 minutes to allow icing to slightly firm.
- Add sprinkles to the top and return to the refrigerator until the icing is set, about 15 minutes.
- Slice into 16 rectangles.