Italian baked eggs combine basil, spinach, tomatoes, and Parmesan for a quick and easy meal that’s healthy, satisfying, and full of flavor!
If I had to choose one food that I would never want to live without, it would be eggs. Scrambled or fried, my husband and I eat them almost every morning. I whipped up these Italian baked eggs on a whim, and they were a huge hit!
As I was
wasting precious time browsing Pinterest today, I saw tons of recipes for baked eggs, which I realized I had never made. It seemed easy enough, and I was starving, so I used what I had on hand and whipped this up in about 30 minutes! It also gave me an excuse to use my cute little cast iron pan I picked up at World Market a few weeks ago 😉
I foresee a lot of baked eggs in the future. I went with Italian flavors, but am already looking forward to trying different combinations. This would be a great meal for those on a low carb or gluten-free diet, and you could certainly change up the veggies to suit your tastes. Just keep in mind that you need to use ingredients that won’t need much cooking time.
Roasted tomatoes give this a sweet, smoky pop of flavor!
I had a few roasted tomatoes leftover, but you could use any kind of tomato you want. Roasted tomatoes gave this great flavor, and they’re super easy to make. Just toss with a little olive oil, salt, and pepper, and roast them in a 450-degree oven for 15 minutes or until lightly charred. Sometimes I turn the oven up to broil in the last few minutes to get some extra color on the tomatoes. If you do that, just watch it really close.
This makes one serving, but can easily be doubled or tripled. If you use a larger pan, you’ll just have to adjust the cooking time. If you try it with different ingredients, be sure to come back and let me know! Enjoy!
How To Make Italian Baked Eggs
- Preheat the oven.
- Add the ingredients to a small cast-iron skillet or baking dish.
- Brush the bottom and sides with olive oil.
- Bake until the whites of the eggs are set.
- Serve with fresh basil, hot sauce, and extra cheese.
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup roasted tomatoes (or any kind of tomato)
- ¼ cup fresh spinach leaves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- fresh basil - optional
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F
- Add the olive oil to a small baking dish and make sure all sides are well coated. (mine was 6" wide)
- Add the eggs and tuck the spinach all around and under them.
- Top with tomatoes, salt, and pepper to taste, and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake until the whites of the eggs are set, which was about 12 minutes in my oven.
- Serve with fresh basil, hot sauce, extra cheese or whatever else sounds good!