My homemade magic shell is a quick and easy alternative to store-bought that’s 100% natural and 100% delicious!
The last time I picked up a bottle of Magic Shell at the grocery store, I put it right back on the shelf after reading the ingredients. Determined to make my own, I picked up a bag of chocolate chips and have been making it myself every since. Homemade magic shell is so ridiculously easy that it’s a stretch to even call it a recipe.
To make homemade magic shell:
- Add chocolate chips and coconut oil to a pan.
- Gently heat until the chocolate is melted.
- Cool and drizzle over ice cream.
Is that even a recipe? I think if there is more than one ingredient, I can technically call it one. Ha!
Of course, you can get as creative as you’d like. I’ve added almond butter, a little vanilla, and even a drop of orange extract for an orange/chocolate topping (which was amazing, by the way).
Any semi-sweet chocolate chips will do, but I encourage you to use good quality chocolate as it makes all the difference. As for the coconut oil, Spectrum or Trader’s Joe’s store brands are my favorites. Both brands are organic and affordable.
I prefer things a little less sweet, so I use dark chocolate, but feel free to use any chocolate you like.
Serve this with:
- Copycat Chick-fil-A Nuggets
- Apple Pie Cupcakes
- 5 Ingredient Beer Bread
- Banana Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting
Did you try this recipe?
- Leave us a comment or rating below!
- Tag and hashtag us on Instagram @nashvillemade #nashvillemadefood
- Follow us on Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, and Facebook
- Sign up here to receive our weekly roundup in your inbox.
Homemade Magic Shell Recipe
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- Add all ingredients to a small saucepan over low heat and whisk until smooth
- Remove from heat and transfer to a bowl to slightly cool before drizzling over ice cream.