Looking for ways to save at Disney? Today we’ll discuss the pros and cons of buying a refillable mug!
Refillable mugs can be purchased in the food courts of most resorts and are currently $15.49 + tax each. A family of four would have to shell out over $60 bucks for four mugs…HECK NO, right? Maybe not. If you’re on the dining plan, the mug is free so take advantage of it! But what if you’re not? Is it still a good value? That depends on a few things:
How long will you be there?
- If you’ll only be there a few days, then it’s probably not cost effective to buy the mug. But if you’ll be there for 7-10 days, it’s well worth it. If I get just TWO cups of coffee a day (or coke, tea, whatever…), I’ll pay $2 (and up) per drink. Multiply that by seven days and I’ll spend $28…and that’s just TWO drinks a day. The refill stations serve a variety of soda, fruit punch, orange drink, lemonade, sweetened iced tea, hot coffee, hot tea, and hot chocolate. Keep in mind that you can refill your mug ’til your heart desires for the entire length of your stay! To figure out if it is a good value for you, simply think of how many drinks per day your family will want (at your resort) and do the math!
How much time do you spend at the resort?
- If you are the up-at-6am-and-on-the-bus kinda family, and don’t spend a lot of time at the resort, then you might not need the mug. Since the mugs can only be used at resorts, it doesn’t make sense to buy them if you’re not going to be there enough to use them. Now if you are a relax-by-the-pool-all-day kinda family (or somewhere in between), then you will probably use the mug enough to save some money. And if you like your cocktails, consider buying the mini bottles of liquor and adding them to your soda for a cheap drink (cocktail prices at Disney are ridiculous).
Do you have kids?
- Kids like to drink…a LOT. When you’re on vacation, it’s fun to let kids do things that you normally don’t…like go get as many refills on their drinks as they want! And let’s face it, if they are playing by the pool all day, they probably need the hydration!
When are you going?
- In the summer, when most people want to lounge by the pool all day, you’ll be more likely to want more refills. If you’re sensitive to the cold, you may not want to make the trip to get a refill in the winter. And before you say “it doesn’t get cold in Florida”, it can happen. We were there during the freak cold spell they had in January a few years ago and I was miserably cold the entire time!
Where is your room located?
- For some people, walking to and from the refill stations isn’t feasible, especially if they are far away. If this applies to you, keep in mind that you can purchase the mug at any time during your stay. If you find the walk is doable, you can buy the mug at your convenience. When you make your reservation, you can request a room close to the food court and although is is not guaranteed, they will do their best to accommodate you.
Shelling out $60+ might be a downer but if it will save you money, it’s worth it! What about you? Do you buy the mugs or have any tips of your own to share?