Cabbage, onions and smoked sausage sautéed together for an easy one-pot meal that full of texture, savory flavors. It’s quick, healthy and delicious!
I’ve been going a mile a minute today and didn’t plan on posting a recipe, but I literally just made this and wanted to get it up for you! I had it ON the table in 30 minutes! So easy and so delicious!
Smoked chicken sausage is one of my favorite things to have on hand. It has a ton of flavor and can be used in a variety of dishes. For this recipe, I used al Fresco Smoked Andouille, which is one of our favorites (and it goes BOGO at Publix regularly). It’s perfect for a quick meal, but holds up well to longer cooking times too. We’re so used to chicken sausage that we actually prefer it. I picked up some regular Italian sausage a few weeks ago because it was on clearance, and even my husband commented on how greasy it was. None the less, you can use any kind of sausage you want in this recipe, and it would work just fine.
Once you add the cabbage, you’re really just cooking it until the cabbage is done to your liking. Although we usually prefer our vegetables cooked through, we like cabbage to have a little texture to it. I cooked mine for about five minutes, stirring it every minute or so.
Other things that would be good in this are green peppers, potatoes, diced tomatoes or some greens for some extra nutrition. I think Swiss chard or kale would be delicious!
Here are a few more recipes you might like:
Cabbage & Sausage Saute | Easy & Healthy One-Pot Meal
- 1 small head cabbage, chopped into bite size pieces.
- 1 12-ounce package smoked chicken sausage, sliced into rounds
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 cups spinach leaves (optional)
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Heat a couple of tablespoons of olive oil in a large, wide skillet.
- Add the sausage and saute until browned.
- Add everything else except the salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until the cabbage is done to your liking. I cooked mine about 15 minutes.
- Salt and pepper to taste before serving.