My bacon & tomato bowtie pasta salad is my family’s all-time favorite pasta salad! Bowtie pasta is mixed with (extra) bacon, tomatoes, green onions, and tossed in a light(ish) dressing!
This is one of those recipes you’ll be asked for over and over! I mean, what’s not to love about bacon, tomatoes, and pasta! This is my go-to dish anytime I’m asked to bring a dish to a party, and everyone always wants the recipe!
It’s incredibly easy. I start the water for the pasta, get the bacon in the microwave, and chop the veggies while they are both cooking. Once they’re done, just mix everything together. You can easily double this, add more or less bacon and make it your own. My family doesn’t love mayonnaise, so I only use a cup for the whole recipe, which I think is more than enough. The juices from the tomato and the vinegar help to keep this nice and moist.
I almost always cook my bacon in the microwave. It’s quick, not as messy, and the paper towels absorb most of the grease. Since all microwaves are different, be sure to check it every 2-3 minutes. The bacon should be in a single layer between the paper towels. I usually do paper towels -> 3-4 slices of bacon -> more paper towels, repeat – and then top with paper towels so the grease doesn’t pop all over your microwave.
If you chill this prior to serving, be sure to taste it again before serving. Pasta tends to soak up the dressing as it sits, so you may need more mayonnaise and/or vinegar.
- 1 16ox box bowtie pasta (or any shape)
- 1 16oz package bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 large, ripe tomato, diced, reserve juice (appx. one cup)
- 2 green onions, finely sliced (reserve a few for garnish)
- 1 - 1.5 cups mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the pasta according to the directions on the box.
- When the pasta is done, rinse with cold water and drain well.
- Add the pasta, bacon, green onions, tomatoes, mayonnaise and vinegar to a large bowl and mix well.
- If it needs more mayonnaise or vinegar, add it to suit your tastes.
- Taste and add salt and pepper to your liking.
- Serve immediately or cover and chill.
Similar products used in this recipe: